Eleven local students from Battlefield High School and Stonewall Jackson High School in Manassas recently received scholarships from the Park West Lion’s Club in Manassas.
Scholarship recipients were Jeremy Kochan, Alex Kuzmicki, Lauren Candland, Julia Holroyd, Sidney King, Noah Wong, Samantha Burgess, Johannah Suegay and Zoe Vottiner, all from Battlefield High School in Haymarket, and Isabelle Krieger and Nathan Waddy, both from Stonewall Jackson High School in Manassas.
Park West Lions presented each student with a check for $1,000 made payable to the university or college he or she will be attending in the fall. Rocky Fulwiler, Scholarship Chair, from Park West Lions Club, stated that the selection process was very competitive as there were many applicants.
Fulwiler said that GPA averages and transcripts were only part of the process in the selection of the final recipients.
Because the Lions Club is a service organization and the largest volunteer non-profit organization in the world, the members of the Scholarship Committee were also looking for the amount and type of service/volunteerism that the applicants gave back to the community.
Each of the recipients had numerous hours and days that he or she had volunteered time in various projects.
Scholarship recipients will be attending the following institutions of higher learning:
- Jeremy Kochan – Virginia Tech
- Alex Kuzmicki – University of Florida
- Lauren Candland – University of New Mexico
- Julia Holroyd – Longwood University
- Sidney King – Christopher Newport University
- Noah Wong – Carnegie Mellon University
- Isabelle Krieger – Vanderbilt University
- Samantha Burgess – Northern Virginia Community College
- Nathan Waddy – University of Mary Washington
- Johannah Suegay – University of Southern California
- Zoe Voettiner- Colorado College