Eight local students from Battlefield High School and Stonewall Jackson High School in Manassas recently received scholarships from the Park West Lion’s Club in Manassas.
Scholarship recipients were Joseph Love, Hagen Vandiver, Jose Mercado-Flores, Nathan Burks, Cara Trettel, Delaney Orndorff, Nha Uyen C. Nguyen and Kendal Miller.
Park West Lions presented each student with a check for $1,000 made payable to the university or college he or she will be attending in the fall. Rocky Fulwiler, Scholarship Chair, from Park West Lions Club, stated that the selection process was very competitive as there were many applicants.
Fulwiler said that GPA averages and transcripts were only part of the process in the selection of the final recipients.
Because the Lions Club is a service organization and the largest volunteer non-profit organization in the world, the members of the Scholarship Committee were also looking for the amount and type of service/volunteerism that the applicants gave back to the community.
Each of the recipients had numerous hours and days that he or she had volunteered time in various projects.
Scholarship recipients will be attending the following institutions of higher learning:
- Joseph Love – George Mason University
- Hagen Vandiver – Radford University
- Jose Mercado-Flores – Virginia Tech
- Nathan Burks – Christopher Newport University
- Cara Trettel – Penn State
- Delaney Orndorff – Cape Fear Community College
- Nha Uyen C. Nguyen – Northern Virginia Community College
- Kendal Miller – Eastern Kentucky University